Good news: After the brouhaha last week that at least one person on Twitter referred to as ‘sweargate’, I’ve just about held onto my job and Have I Got Social Enterprise News For You is back.
Bad news: You’re going to wish it wasn’t. I have got literally nothing interesting to say. Nada. I’ve spent all week looking at website code and deary me is it dull. I’ve had the verve sapped from me. The most exciting thing that happened to me this week is that my coffee was served to me by a chap called Walter this morning and I don’t think that I’ve ever met a Walter before.
I’d better stop now. This is desperate stuff.
On with the news…
- SSE Fellow Sian Workman has launched a #loveLIVES campaign to prevent the closure of her organisation Building Lives and to secure the future of almost 200 young students waiting to start apprenticeships in the construction industry. You can find out more, and donate if you would like to, on the Building Lives website.
- 16th June is ‘National Big Advice Day’, as part of Small Charity Week. If you’d like free expert advice on almost any topic under the sun then make sure that you sign up by 5pm today. (A reward for being in work today and not skiving off for the long weekend…).
- If you like coffee, and if you like social enterprise, make sure to back SSE Fellow organisation We Walk The Line on Kickstarter. It’s a cool company which provides opportunities for young people to run their own business (a pedal powered coffee bike!). There are also some very cool Ben and Jerry’s rewards on offer.
- Sticking with crowdfunding, Civil Society report the highlights of a ‘Five things we learned‘ from a recent Fundraising First Thing event which took place last week. (If you are eager to learn more, we’ve got an excellent Crowdfunding for Social Enterprises workshop coming up on 16th July).
- Max Tobias of the Dusty Knuckle Bakery was interviewed on Stephan’s Social Experience, a show on Soho Radio. You can listen to the whole thing here (it’s really good).
- This is a ludicrously good article on using psychological techniques to price your products or services. The Force will be with you . . . always.
- Two articles that I can very much relate to:10 Business Lessons I Learned at Bars and Goofing Around in Meetings Can Boost Performance.
- The quadrumvirate (go Latin) of SEUK, Resonance Ltd, Co-operatives UK and Community Shares will be joining forces for Social Investment: Making it Work for Social Enterprises, a free event in Manchester on Thursday 25th June.
- Thanks to everyone who booked onto, asked questions about, or spread the word of our Transition to Trading course, which starts on July 8th. If you’ve not booked your place yet, what are you waiting for? We’ve got limited places at £750. Literally every single person who has previously taken the course has described it as ‘good’ or ‘extremely good’ value.
What’s on at SSE
- Cool 10 Environmental Entrepreneurs, SSE East, now recruiting
- Marketing Masterclass, SSE London, 8th June
- Sources of Funding, SSE London, 10th June
- Leadership Development, SSE London, 22nd June
- Green Entrepreneurship in Action, SSE Dartington, starts 29th June
- Transition to Trading, SSE London, starts 9th July