Are you new to fundraising and keen to learn how to get started? Need to raise money for your organisation or project? This new course is designed to give you an overview of how fundraising works, what types of fundraising are appropriate for your organisation, and what you need to do next to begin securing grants and donations.
“The course was really cohesive and gave a good overview of the world of fundraising, and explored some particular areas of interest in more depth. Would definitely recommend!” Becki”
What you’ll learn on Getting Started with Fundraising:
- Fundraising glossary – making sense of some commonly used terms
- A quick introduction to grant-making trusts and foundations
- Other common types of fundraising and how they work
- How to choose the most appropriate types of fundraising for your organisation
- Making people believe in your work – how to develop your central ‘case for support’
- Who should do your fundraising, what should you pay them and what return can you expect?
- Ensuring your fundraising is safe, legal and ethical
- Some universal fundraising rules that will never let you down
- Where to go for further fundraising inspiration and support
The course includes a series of presentations and interactive exercises. It is designed to be a whistle-stop tour of fundraising for people who currently know very little and want a solid general overview. We also run more specific courses on winning grants from trusts & foundations and developing a long-term fundraising strategy for those looking for more in-depth training in those areas.
“A really great nuts & bolts course on the basics of fundraising, not jargonistic and very inclusive.” Jacqueline
Dates and Timetable
This course is delivered online. It consists of two online sessions on consecutive days, with time for questions throughout. We’ll be setting you some exercises to work on independently between the two sessions. To get the most from the course, we recommend that you set aside some time for these before the second day.
- Tues 27th / Weds 28th Sept 2022
- Tues 22nd / Weds 23rd Nov 2022
- Tues 14th / Weds 15th Feb 2023
*Important note* For the next running of this course only, it will take place on Tuesday 22nd February and Thursday 24th February rather than on consecutive days.
Day 1 (10:00-12:15 with a short break midway)
- Fundraising glossary
- What are the common types of fundraising and how do they work?
- How to choose the right types of fundraising for your organisation?
- Building your case for support
- Introducing some exercises for you to to work on before tomorrow
Day 2 (10:00-12:45 with a short break midway)
- ‘Telling your story’ exercise
- A quick guide to trusts & foundations fundraising
- Who should do your fundraising and how should you pay them?
- Where to go for further inspiration and support
- Fundraising safely, legally and ethically
- Universal fundraising rules that will never let you down
- Q&A: Your chance to ask us about anything we’ve covered today or any other fundraising questions
Mike Zywina is an experienced fundraising consultant and Director of Lime Green Consulting. Mike Zywina is an experienced fundraising consultant and Director of Lime Green Consulting. Lime Green Consulting help ambitious charities and social enterprises to be more strategic, become more sustainable or access new funding – they provide a mix of strategic consultancy, hands-on fundraising support, training and mentoring. Mike was previously Fundraising Manager and a member of the Senior Management Team at Link Community Development, overseeing a thriving fundraising portfolio raising £600,000 per year.
Gemma Pettman helps charities to raise both their profile and vital funds. She’s supported causes ranging from city farms to youth unemployment. Demonstrating impact through storytelling is a crucial part of Gemma’s work, particularly when applying to trusts and foundations. As well as raising much-needed income, she has received praise from funders for her use of sincere and straightforward language.
“The course was really cohesive and gave a good overview of the world of fundraising, and explored some particular areas of interest in more depth. Would definitely recommend!” Becki
All our learning will be taking place in live online sessions until further notice.
Joining details will be emailed to you in the run up to the workshop.
|Organisational turnover £1m +||£169|
|Organisational turnover £500,000 – £1m||£149|
|Organisational turnover £100,000 – £499,999||£129|
|Organisational turnover £50,000 – £99,999||£109|
Individuals / organisations with a turnover less than £50,000
or individuals unattached to an organisation
Book your place immediately with a credit or debit card via our website using Stripe, our payment processor. We’ll send you booking confirmation right away.
Please only request an invoice if absolutely necessary and if it is for an amount over £100.
Please note our terms and conditions: we can offer a full refund provided you give us at least 7 days’ notice (within 7 days you can substitute the participant for someone else).
|If you have any questions about the course or the booking process please contact SSE’s sales and marketing manager, David McGlashan, on 020 7089 9120 or email [email protected].|