The social enterprise and charity sector is buzzing with financial terms: ‘social investment’ ‘social impact bonds’ and ‘investment readiness’. But what do these terms actually mean, and how can social enterprises and not-for-profits access these new forms of income?
A panel of speakers from different areas of social investment and case studies from both investors and investees will shine a spotlight on specific types of social investment, allowing you to make informed decisions about how to finance your organisation.
You should come on Unlocking Social Investment if:
- You are interested in finding out more about social investment and want a clear, unbiased introduction to what it all means for you and your organisation.
- You want to understand the pros and cons / risks and rewards of the different types of social finance available, but don’t want a sales pitch.
- You want to hear case studies from organisations who have taken on social investment – why they did it, how they did it and the benefits that it has brought to the organisation.
- You want the opportunity to question some of the leading social investors and want to find out more about how they decide who to invest in.
- You want to network with other people from charities and social enterprises who are also exploring social investment as a way of financing their organisation.
— Ciaran Biggins (@CiaranBiggins) January 30, 2015
Who you will hear from
Previous speakers on the workshop have included:
- Social Finance Ltd
- London Early Years Foundation
- Social and Sustainable Capital
- Big Society Capital
- Esmee Fairbarn
- Social Investment Business
- Big Issue Invest
Each of our speakers is encouraged to be as open and candid as possible. We are as interested in hearing what went wrong as what went right!
|Welcome and introductions|
|What is social investment and what is it used for?|
|Social investment panel
Case Study – Osman Jama, Director, Young Futures
A detailed exploration into a social investment deal. Young Futures is a C.I.C committed to providing high quality accommodation, keyworking support and dramatherapy to young people, parents and their children. Young Futures have used social investment to help scale their impact.
|Becoming Investment Ready: Matt Black, Numbers For Good|
We’ll discuss what you have learned during the day and how to ensure that you put it into action.
Who should attend
Unlocking Social Investment is suitable for staff at all levels interested in finding out more about social finance and social investment. No prior knowledge is required and the day is designed to provide a full introduction to what can seem a complex topic.
Previous Unlocking Social Investment participants have included:
- Community Development Partnership Manager, Circle Housing
- Fundraiser, Graft Thames Valley
- Assistant Head of Service, Haringey Council
- Assistant Director, Spurgeons
- Finance Director, Local Food Links
- Sustainability Advisor, WWF
- Chief Operating Officer, The Winch
- Assistant Director, Spurgeons
- CEO, Brighton and Hove Seaside Community Homes
If you aren’t sure that the course is right for you give us a call on 020 7089 9120 and we can discuss it with you in more detail.
The course takes place from 10:30am – 4:30pm at our offices in The Fire Station, 139 Tooley St, London Bridge:
For this one day workshop, access to our speakers plus all course materials you pay:
|Organisational turnover £1m +||£149|
|Organisational turnover £500,000 – £1m||£129|
|Organisation turnover £100,000 – £499,999||£109|
|Organisational turnover less than £100,000||£79|
How to book
First, select the date you wish to attend below. You will be asked for your name, email address and telephone number. Once you have entered these, select your price category and click ‘proceed to payment’.
You will be given the option to pay immediately online with a credit or debit card (make sure you have one to hand!), or you can select ‘pay by invoice’ and our finance team will be in touch with an invoice.
If you have any questions about or issues with the booking process please contact SSE’s Sales and Marketing Manager David McGlashan on 020 7089 9120 or email email@example.com.