Register interest in the 2021-22 programme below
You’ve set up an effective social enterprise already, and plan to increase your income and impact in the year ahead. Maybe your business and trading income has been affected by the pandemic? We’ll get you back on track.
You’ll learn how to increase resilience, develop different income streams and ways of working suited to the online, post Covid-19 new normal.
Trade Up offers a year of support, including:
- Up to £4,000 Match Trading grant
- Free learning programme (14 learning days spread over a year)
- Support network
- A mentor
Project more established? Try Scale Up
Just starting out? Try Start Up
If you need any of the information about this programme in another format, please let us know on 0207 089 9120 or LBSEP2020@sse.org.uk and we will do everything we can to accommodate your needs.
Find out more
Hear from Duncan, who has completed the Trade Up programme:
How do I apply?
Register interest in the 2021-22 programme and we’ll email you when applications open in 2021.
Our recruitment process and all other activities will be online until government guidelines on social distancing change.
Is Trade Up for me? Am I eligible?
Trade Up could be right for you if:
- You have set up an effective social enterprise, and plan to increase your income and impact in the year ahead.
- Your project has been active at least one year, with income of more than £15,000 in the last or current financial year (total income, including trading, grant and donations). We will consider the impact of Covid-19 when assessing the income criteria. So if you were expecting to have £15,000 income this year, but you are not going to because of Covid-19, please tell us about this in your application form. We will take this into account.
- You’re aged 16+.
- You’re based in the UK and your project mainly creates impact in the UK.
- You’re committed to attending the learning programme.
We’re not worried about:
- Whether you’d call yourself a “social entrepreneur” – the key is that your idea or organisation is committed to helping those in need or improving a community.
- Your background, education or experience – we welcome people from all backgrounds, of all abilities, and we make no judgements on your past.
What are the dates and locations?
The learning programme consists of 12-14 days, spread over a year, starting in October 2021 and running to October 2022. Typically, you attend for a day or two a month (not including school holidays).
All activities will take place online until government social distancing guidelines change.
In 2021-22, the Trade Up programme will run in these locations:
Register interest using the form above and we’ll email you when applications open.
What will I learn?
We’ll make sure the learning on this programme is adapted to meet your needs. Topics will be shaped by students’ needs, but likely to include:
- Refine your social impact measurement
- Develop the link between your trading and your impact goals
- Develop your business plan and diverse income streams
- Test and refine your marketing
- Grow your customer base
- Win contracts
- Improve your financial management
- Manage staff and volunteers (this may include remote management)
- Manage projects and delegate
- Improve your leadership skills
- Develop your networks
You’ll be in a group of around 20 other people at a similar stage to you, from all backgrounds. You’ll form an ‘action learning set‘ that helps you reflect and develop in a trusted circle. Here’s a video that explains action learning.
These trusted relationships with other social entrepreneurs are really important to our students: 19 in 20 students stay in touch with people they met at SSE after they finish the programme.
Our learning programmes are very different to traditional teaching. We’re not about essays and academia. We believe in learning from other people’s stories. You’ll hear from inspiring social entrepreneurs who speak frankly about the good, the bad and the ugly of running an organisation. (This playlist of videos shares the types of stories you’ll hear.)
We’ll also introduce you to experts to help you develop new skills. You’ll build a network of peers and professionals who can support you.
To help keep you on track, we’ll match you with a mentor from Lloyds Banking Group.
How does the Match Trading grant work?
Match Trading grants match an increase in income from trading and sales, pound-for-pound.
Check out the video below, and read more about how Match Trading supports social entrepreneurs to increase their sales.
Match Trading was developed by the School for Social Entrepreneurs with the support of pioneer partners Lloyds Banking Group and The National Lottery Community Fund.
Is all this really free?
Yes! You can use the grant for your project’s running cost and to pay for travel and subsistence to support you in attending the learning programme. The learning programme and mentoring is fully funded, thanks to funding from our partners Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland and The National Lottery Community Fund. The School for Social Entrepreneurs is a charity.