In memory of Steve LawrencePosted: 23 May 2012
Today we remember and celebrate the life of Steve Lawrence who has been a great friend, colleague, mentor and inspiration to us at SSE.
Steve passed away yesterday at his home in Sydney after a long illness and our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.
Steve is commonly referred to as the 'Grandfather of Social Enterprise' in Australia. He has a long association with the UK School for Social Entrepreneurs and was instrumental in taking it to Australia. Steve often said that of all the initiatives he has been involved with, he is most proud of his work with SSE because of the significant and long lasting transformative social impact it can have.
Steve worked tirelessly his whole life in service of others and never shied away from complex issues or challenges. Social change was more than a job; it was his vocation which he approached with bravery, intensity and positivity. In the few months before he died, Steve launched the Steve Lawrence Social Innovation Fund and raised over AUS$400,000 that will be used to pursue initiatives close to his heart.
Watch Steve share some of his life learnings, stories and experiences in this recent Yakety Yak interview
Key achievements and highlights from Steve's life and career:
- Founding Partner, School for Social Entrepreneurs Australia
- Officer in the Order of Australia for service to the community through leadership roles in the development and implementation of non-profit ventures to create social change particularly for youth and the long-term unemployed
- CEO, Australia Social Innovation eXchange (ASIX)
- Founding CEO, WorkVentures
- Was part of the formation of a range of organisations including JOB Futures, United Way Sydney, Jobs Australia, Social Ventures Australia
- Co-Author of 'Nonprofits in Business' (1995)
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award for Social Enterprise for NSW & ACT 2004
- Chair of Bonnyrigg Management Pty Ltd and Newleaf Community Renewal; companies created to manage the social renewal and development integration of the Bonnyrigg public housing community in South West Sydney